This morning I was studying last Sunday's sermon on 1 Peter 1:14 which talks about us not conforming to the former ways and living a life of holiness. Pastor Rick talked about how the prevailing nature of our lives as children of God is to be obedience - not perfection, but obedience.
As I journaled in my big comfy chair this verse hit in me in two ways. 1) My heart - It was a challenge to me as I started the day. In all I do, I need to consciously think about how I can best obey and glorify God in each situation. 2) Wyatt's heart - I was reminded that at 13 months, the prevailing nature of his life is disobedience and sin. He is in the early learning stages of learning to obey and he does not have God's Spirit helping him. This reminder started my day with peace and patience, and another challenge - to be a mom who is obedient to God in discipling my son.
It's a good thing that God chose to start my day this way. He knows all things! Wyatt woke up, did a great job eating breakfast, and then had a marathon of stubbornness as he refused to say thank you for his food. About five or six minutes, I started timing him. It took close to TWENTY minutes of me sitting in front of him, waiting for him to say thank you. It really wasn't too bad. He started getting frustrated toward the end, and I'll admit I felt the twinges and then the reminders from the morning kicked in. Sometimes I think instructing and disciplining Wyatt is more about instructing and disciplining Dana.
Oh did we celebrate when he finally gave in!! Let's hope the rest of the day is better.
And just because they're so cute....this was in the middle of a wrestling match last week.
1 comment:
Thanks for the good reminder - and you're SO right - instructing & disciplining IS as much for them as it is for us. Ella was just asking us if mommies & daddies get "in trouble" too....and of course, being five, that required a more detailed answer than the simple "yes." Ugh.
Post a Comment