Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ancient Word Wednesday

Yep, I've been a slacker. The past couple of weeks I feel like we're either running or completely crashed on the couch. Between the virus/allergies Randy's been fighting and my 3rd trimester watermelon, we've been taking every bit of rest we can get!

Today I'm challenged by 1 Chronicles 28:9 "As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever."

In my study I've gotten as far as "know the God of your father." David called for his son to know God...not just about God but to know God Himself. Then he added the words that really challenged me...of your father. In other words, "Solomon, know the God I know as I've known Him." This coming from David "the man after God's own heart"! Even a quick look at the Psalms shows the deep intimacy David had with God.

When I first read the line "know God" the first thing that ran through my mind was "and how do you know God? Through His Word, of course!" But David didn't say "Know the God of the Bible" although that is of course absolutely true. He said "know the God of your father." The first way our children are going to know God is by watching us and our relationships with God. Randy and I can show our children an intimate God who is deeply involved in our lives, who is the God of love and joy and answered prayer and the God of holy wrath and perfect righteousness (crazy how all those things really do work together perfectly in God Himself!). Or we can show them a god who is disconnected, irrelevant to our lives, a religion we just do.

I must confess I've found my heart growing cold the last couple of weeks. My times with God have been hurried and have lacked intimacy. And then today He reminded me, as I studied how to pray for my children, that those same children are going to keep me accountable, starting in just a few weeks. Their perception of God will be shaped by my daily walk with Him. That is humbling!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Gracias seniorita. So good.

Pictures, please.