For the past couple of weeks I've had 3 verses from Deuteronomy in front of my computer at work. One of them is Deut. 30:19b-20a "Therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days."
Choose life - Know that NOTHING you can do or did can get you to heaven. The only way to life is through Christ alone. It's not who you are or anything about you. Apart from Christ, we are dead, dead, dead. We can't even choose Him unless HE chooses us and wakes us up enough to choose Him. His grace blows my mind!
Why choose life? That you might live - both now on earth and forever with Him. That you might love Him with all your resources and all you are. That you might obey His word. And then the one that really struck me today - that you might cling to Him. How often do I cling to Him?
John 15:5 says that apart from Him I can do nothing. The analogy Jesus uses is that He is the vine and I am the branch. Unless I'm connected to Him, I won't bear fruit. But the picture I get here is of a small child clinging to his daddy's leg, and he won't let go. His daddy doesn't see him as a pest; he loves his son's affection. But in God's case, He wants us to be permanently attached. He doesn't want us to think we can do life on our own...that's just plain old prideful sin.
So, if you know Him, grab His leg, so to speak, and practice clinging! If you don't know Him, I'd love to chat!!
No comments:
Post a Comment