Last week I promised that Hannah was going to take several installments...and I do mean several. Here's Hannah, Godly Mommy, Part 2.
Hannah means "grace, a fitting name for her. 1 Samuel 1:6 says that "her rival provoked her severely to make her miserable." (Oh, I could rabbit trail here! Her rival was her husband's other wife. Women can be so awful, and I can not imagine the pain, aggravation, and frustration of living in the same household with your rival. Besides that, her rival's children were running around, reminding Hannah of her barrenness. Talk about making a marriage difficult!)
While I am sure Hannah was not perfect, the only response that the Bible tells us is that year by year when her family went up to worship at the Tabernacle, she wept and fasted. (Again, an opportunity to rabbit trail into the subject of worship. Her pain must have been such an obstacle for true worship but also such an opportunity for God to comfort her heart. Back to the subject of her response...) The Bible does not tell us that Hannah responded in anger to her rival or her husband. It does not tell us that she grew bitter. In fact, the results of the trial years down the road show quite a different response.
To give her husband credit, he did his best to show his love for Hannah. We know that she is the beloved wife. The commentaries say she was probably the first wife, but her barrenness was the reason for a second wife. Each year at the Tabernacle Elkanah gave her double portions of food to show his love and care, but the worship times were so painful for Hannah that she did not eat. Finally one year he said to her, "Hannah, why do you weep? Why do you not eat? And why is your heart grieved? Am I not better to you than 10 sons?" (1 Sam. 1:8). Easy for him to say, he had sons!
Look at Hannah's response here. She didn't lash out at him or defend her grief. She didn't insult him or belittle his importance to her. The Bible says in verse 9 that she simply arose and went to the tabernacle to pour her heart out to the Lord. After her prayer, verse 18 says she "went on her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad." She left her grief and heartache at the throne of grace.
Hannah is such an example of true grace. She submitted to her husband, and she left her heartache with the Lord.
I'm ashamed at how often I respond otherwise. When I'm stressed or upset, far too often my husband is the first to hear of it and then the Lord. And even then, it's an effort to leave the hurt before Him. It's a discipline to first pour out my heart to the Lord and go on my way with a peaceful countenance. And then, when I'm calm and if it's necessary, I can share with my husband.
What about you? Any tips on mastering this discipline?
No comments:
Post a Comment