Thursday, February 19, 2009

What a weird day!

What. a. day. About 12:30 I was in my office with a co-worker trying to stay awake during a webinar on viral marketing and social networking when my hubby called. I'll admit, I ignored the first call since I had emailed him that I was taking a late lunch and would call him later. When he called again a minute later I figured I better answer.

His reason for calling? There's a guy with a gun in the building next door to your office. You might want to let your office know and lock the doors. What!?! So I ran around the office to put people on the alert. We locked the doors and alerted the conference room full of people that they might want to wait to leave. Sure enough police officers and members of the SWAT team were arriving and blocking the street to the side of our building.

A few minutes later we found out that this morning a man was served divorce papers and has a protection from abuse order from his wife. Today he stormed into the law office (right across the alley from my office) where she works and has been holding her and the office staff hostage all afternoon. He's threatened to kill himself, but has not injured anyone.

I managed to leave around 2:45 for a meeting. Sometime while I was gone, the police shut off all the electricity in the immediate area, including ours, hoping to bring the man out. So our office shut down. The last I heard, the police were being very patient and brought out lights in case they'd be there past dark. I'm praying this all ends peacefully!

Oh and sorry about Ancient Word Wednesday this week! We'll pick it up again next week.

No comments: