Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ancient Word Wednesday

On Sunday morning we sang a hymn "Ancient Words," a song I've sung in church plenty of times. This time "Ancient words of our faith handed down through each page" inspired me (besides helping to prepare my heart for the sermon). I've been thinking about how MUCH I gain from my quiet times in God's word and how little I share what He's been teaching me. So welcome to Ancient Word Wednesdays where I get to share a little of what God speaks to me through His awesome Word. I realize I'm going to have keep this up, but I'll do my best.

Back in November I started studying some of the godly mommys of the Bible to prepare for mommyhood. I started with Moses' mom, not someone I had ever thought much about. The main part of her story is told in Exodus 2:1-10, but other passages mention her (Hebrews 11:23). Exodus 6:20 says her name was Jochebed.

She lived and parented in an extremely dangerous time for Jewish babies. The Egyptian Pharoah had recently commanded that all Jewish baby boys be killed when she gave birth to a baby boy. I can't imagine what that would be like! I know that when I give birth to IB, he will be loved and cared for by everyone. No one will be seeking his tiny life.

She already had a son and daughter, but she valued life and sought to protect her newborn baby boy. The Bible says she and her husband hid their son for three months because he was a "beautiful child." The notes in my Bible said the word for beautiful means favored. Although I'm sure they had no idea what God had in mind for their son, they exercised faith in God to take care of the situation.

Jochebed was also creative, and resourceful. She took what was around her (river reeds, mud and pitch) and used her skills to build a basket for her son. She must have also been extremely hopeful in order to take her precious son and lay him in that basket and float him on the river.

Of course God did have an important plan for Jochebed's son, and He knew the plan to get him safely from babyhood to manhood. He even had a place for Jochebed in His perfect plan. Pharoah's daughter who found Moses and wanted to adopt Moses needed a nurse. And because Jochebed was hopeful and planned ahead, her daughter Miriam was there at the perfect time to offer her mother's services. For the next 2-3 years until Moses was weaned Jochebed nurtured him in her home. And she took every advantage of that time.

One commentary stated, "It is said that the Jewish mothers from the time the baby was first cradled in their arms, would begin to whisper, 'Jehovah is God.'" Jewish mothers, and I'm sure especially Jochebed, used every moment to teach their children about God, His law, and His great power. It's so easy to underestimate those early years, but they're vital. I saw that in many examples when I taught 3 & 4 year olds in Sunday school. A mother's faithful teaching is so important in shaping children. What a challenge to me as I start that task in a few months!

Once Moses was weaned, Jochebed had to let him go to his royal Egyptian home. She was forced to trust in God's sovereign plan and know He was able to oversee and care for her son's life.

That's only a little of what I've learned from Jochebed. Go study her for yourself. We always think of her son, but the Bible has plenty to say about her, too.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about Jochebed or what God has been teaching you!

2 comments:

Chad and Sondra said...

That's so encouraging, Dana! At my baby shower when you said you were studying these women, it encouraged me to do the same. I haven't got to Jochebed yet, but have been reading about Hannah - also an amazing story! What a huge responsibility we have as mothers! Thanks for sharing - I'm going to look forward to Wednesdays now! :)

Bonnie said...

Cool Dana! Are you studying a book on this? If not, you should write one--I think a lot of mommys-to-be would love to read more about Biblical examples.