Sunday, September 19, 2010

Good Bottoms

A couple people have asked if I like the Best Bottoms dipes that came in the mail last week, so I thought I'd do a quick review.

What I like:

1) The price! If you can use one shell with 3-4 inserts, that's a great bargain when compared to pocket dipes.
2) The fit. I like how trim they were on Wyatt. He's kind of a skinny kid, and there was no gaping and no deep red marks. I like how they sized to fit him. In his Bum Genius One Size pockets, he's right between the medium and large size on the snaps. With the Best Bottom, he's definitely needs it snapped down one level, and he doesn't look like he has a huge bum.
3) The Stay-dry insert. We're used to pocket dipes that keep his skin really dry, so I was concerned that the insert would leave him feeling wet. While they're not as dry as a pocket, I was really impressed with how dry the insert kept him.
4) No leaks! I wouldn't say that we've really given them a super testing, but with normal wear there were no leaks.

What I don't like:
1) The insert removal. I'm a weenie. I don't mind washing dipes. I don't mind flushing poo. I DO mind having to really touch a wet insert while I unsnap it so I can snap in a dry one. Ew. I've never done pre-folds, and I'm used to just shaking out the wet insert with hardly a touch. I like that.
2) The poo issue. Pardon the info to come....Wyatt's poos are toddler poos. He rarely has big, nasty, wet ones that would leak off the insert onto the shell. So, when he poos, I'd like to continue using the Best Bottom shell. However, first I have to unsnap a wet insert (yuck), and then, what do I do with it? I can't leave him on his changing table and run to the bathroom to flush it so I can throw it in the diaper pail. I think I put it on top of the pail, but...gross. With a pocket dipe, I just set the dipe aside without worry that it's going to contaminate anything, change his dipe and flush the other one when we're all done. Easy. If I changed the shell with each poo, this would not be a problem.
3) What touches his skin. Hubby's a little more concerned with this one than I am. He doesn't like that the PUL (for you non-cloth-dipe people it's a waterproof fabric that the shell is made from - it has a type of lamination on the inside for waterproofing) touches Wyatt's skin. He thinks it will get hot and sticky. It really doesn't touch his skin that much....just by the tabs on the side, so I really don't think this is that great of a problem.
4) The Hook & Loop fasteners. There's a snap version, but we like h&l, so I tried it. It looks cheaper than Bum Genius h&l, which I am currently replacing on 30 dipes after over a year of use. If I were to buy more shells, I'd go with snaps.

Overall: I'm spoiled by Bum Genius pocket dipes, but as a more economical option, I would recommend Best Bottoms. Since I have a shell and a couple inserts, I'll probably buy a couple more inserts to make it truly a good buy. But I don't think I'll be buying more shells. It's likely to be more BGs for Shorty.

On another cloth dipe note, learn from my lesson. DON'T wait a year and a half to strip dipes for the first time. It takes massive washing with lots of ridiculously hot water to get them back to square one (which means they're absorbent and don't cause a fast build up of ammonia on Wyatt's bum overnight - ouch). I'll be doing the easier version every other month from now on.


2 comments:

The Feather Files said...

oh man. i don't know if i could do this.

Lindsay said...

I think I just tried to read an article written in French. I think.

Kudos to you for hangin' in there with all the French stuff.

;-)