Saturday, September 4, 2010

Six Whole Years

Today marks another anniversary for me - 6 years since I loaded up the Focus and moved to Kansas. I had no idea what life would look like after that. All I knew is that I didn't want to be in Minnesota anymore, God had made it obvious that I was not to move to Kansas City, and I had some beloved family in Hutch. So, though, it was a lot sooner than I had planned (even though somehow I always knew I'd end up here), I made the move.

That first year is truly etched in my mind. I was so excited to start this new adventure, and my dear brother and his wife generously opened their home for five months. I found a job that thankfully I stayed at less than a year, but it paid the bills for awhile. In January I bought a tiny little house that I knew was temporary. "Two years," I thought.

In February my brother pointed out this very good-looking usher across the sanctuary at church. "I just met him in Sunday school, and he's super nice and single. [Amazing, we may have been the only two single people in our church over 18 at that time.]You really should meet him." And he had no idea what the guy's name was! Seriously, Jeff, you have to pay attention to these things. By April, at least four people (without my request) had scouted him out for me. And then our associate pastor and his wife started a single's group in their basement. Lo and behold, we finally met. A month later he asked me out on their front step right before we dashed out into the rain. May 20 we went on our first date - Mexican food and two of the longest bowling games two people could ever play. Throw the ball - talk for five minutes - get a gutter ball - ask a zillion questions. On the second date, he kissed me. :-) By the third date, I absolutely knew that I was going to marry him. And on September 3, he proposed.

Somehow, September 4 - April 9, 2005 seemed like some of the longest months of my life. A lot happened, but the move was harder than I thought it would be. And then April 10 happened. The last 5 1/2 years have been the best of my life!

Oh and the house sold almost a year to the day after I bought it. Good thing my brother and his wife let me move in for six weeks till the wedding!

And on another note - my fabric came. It will make a great pillow in the family room, but it's not my living room curtains. And the search continues.

I did, however, just order a Best Bottoms shell and two snap-in inserts. If this is as good as it looks, it'll save me lots of money! I was about to order 4 Bum Genius 4.0s, but I could get 2 1/2 days worth of dipes for the same price!! Can't wait till this one comes!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What's your opinion on the Best Bottoms?

Hope you're feeling well! Only a few more months and you'll have 2 cute 'lil ones :)