Saturday, September 3, 2011

Good will for Goodwill



Wednesday my mom gifted me with a clean family room. Well, she gifted me with a whole day of childcare while I cleaned the family room. It. was. wonderful. Over the weekend Randy had finished sheetrocking the fireplace, we painted the ceiling and trim, and top to bottom deep cleaning could commence. By the end of the day the curtains were washed, the walls were wiped, etc. etc. AND the furniture was moved back in. Yay.

In the middle of the day I needed a little break, so I ran to Goodwill in search of a pair of lamps. I found several pairs, all in lovely shades of cream and gold or brass. I just wasn't sure if any of them were right, so I ran to Lowe's in search of lampshades. I found them. Two of the prettiest lampshades that said, "Take us home!" They came with me. And so did a can of Valspar's Mediterranean Blue spray paint. Back at Goodwill, I took a lampshade in to test it on the lamps I found. I loved them on one pair - the cheapest pair. I picked them up for $3.50 a piece.

Check out these beauties!


Here they are in their blue glory flanking my green couch.


This is my pillow fabric, partially cut and waiting for me.


An close up shot of my new favorites.

The lampshades weren't cheap - $20 each. And one of the lamps needed a new cord at $8. All told I spent about $58 on the lamps, so it wasn't the cheapest thrifting project ever, but considering a new lamp would have cost $60 I guess I got a two for one deal. But I love it!

3 comments:

shaunjoy said...

Looks good! Spray paint is one of my absolute favorite cures for thrifted items and the occasional must-change-the-look-of-this-room urge.

Lindsay said...

Oh - LURVE the blue! Good work! The shades are purdy too! Although I still can't wrap my head around a WHOLE day without kids...

Danika said...

Looks so great Dana! You have such an eye for transforming things into something great! Love it.