Sunday, January 23, 2011

Home Tour: Before and After

We have lived in this house for 9 months, and I'm still working on getting things up on the walls. A chalkboard and two canvases finally went up in the dining room last weekend. Our laundry room/pantry is complete with doors on the cabinets now, and I finally, finally chose fabric for our living room curtains. So here's a little before and after of the main living areas...minus the laundry room, which is currently covered in clean laundry. You'll have to wait on that one and the bedrooms. They're still in process.

Welcome to our house!

I actually decorated for Valentine's Day this year and had a lot of fun wrapping ribbon yesterday. Wyatt rewarded me this morning when we left the house for church. "Pretty!" he said. He's a boy and he noticed!

This is what the house looked like before. Well, sort of before. I forgot to take one before we started scraping and priming, but you get the idea.


And after. Although I can't say the winter-brown grass is all that flattering to the color. It was really hard to choose a color because the roof is such a light gray. We're so glad we painted the brick, and removed the 1950's wrought iron post. I'm hoping to replace it next summer.
Entry buffet. There was really nothing here when we first looked at the house.

The dining room looking from the front door - before.

And after. By the way, the door next to the table in the before picture used to open as a second entrance to Wyatt's room. Randy converted it to a utility closet, and it's one of my favorite, simple changes we've made!

The front living room before...as Randy pulled down all of the window treatments.

And after. This is the room I've been trying to choose curtain fabric for over the past 9 months...that post coming soon.



The family room is an addition on the back of the house. We love this room except for the fact that it's really cold in here in the winter. We have plans for that useless wood fireplace!


After we painted, replaced carpet and tile, and pulled down rickety shelves. Those shelves will be replaced with a storage/desk unit eventually. And the steps need to be replaced one day.


Kitchen pantry before, complete with small appliances for all to see.

And after. We really haven't done much to the kitchen. We have major plans for it down the road, so we haven't felt like sinking any money or work into it now. Let's just say that those plans include Randy's first kitchen cabinet building job, moving doors and plumbing and completely refiguring the room.

Until then, it's still in all its gold glory, minus the awful curtains and the ridiculously small sink. (Sorry, I'm too lazy to make it presentable for a picture today.)

We really are so thankful for this house! There are definitely days I wish we had a basement (can you say nerf guns?) and Randy wishes we had a two-car garage for his shop (he's building me a sewing cabinet right now). But this house is home and we're truly thankful for the way God has provided for us!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana - Your home is beautiful! Randy has such a talent, as do you and together you have made your house such a great home! I can't wait to see you, Randy, Wyatt & Ryder someday...and get the whole tour! Holly

The Feather Files said...

I love it. Did you paint the canvases?

Danika said...

It looks great Dana! Thanks for the glimpse into your life. I wish I could just stop on over...hopefully some day sooner than later. Oh, and my living room accent wall is the same color as the family room. I really love it!

Anonymous said...

So fun to see all you've done even the last couple months! And those canvases turned out great. Where did you end up putting that large wooden clamp that you had just stashed on the mantle in the living room? I didn't see it and you weren't sure what you were going to do with it. You were right though in that you have made it home and a welcoming one at that! Love Carolyn

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the tour! Maybe sometime THIS year we'll make it down to see it in person. Can't wait to see the finished curtain project - and bedrooms!

shaunjoy said...

I love that point where a new house really starts feeling like a home. Your home looks beautiful!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the tour! You did amazing things to the outside. I love the new color. And I'm loving the Valentine's Wreath...I told myself I wasn't going to decorate for Vday, but you may have changed my mind :)