Thursday, September 11, 2008

Home At Last...

Last weekend Randy & I had to take a flying (in the car) trip to Iowa to say goodbye to my grandpa. He was already home where he wants to be, but we were able to say goodbye in our own ways.

The last time we saw him was in April. We went to Iowa with my parents to get Grandpa's woodworking tools and bring them home to Randy's garage. We went straight to the nursing home in Kalona and walked back toward his room. I'll never forget the picture of him as we came around the corner to the sitting room. He was sitting at a little table with his head bowed over his extra large print Bible, Ezekiel I think. I've often wondered since then what God was speaking to him through His word.
He knew who we were that day. He might not have been able to say our names, but he knew Mom was his daughter and I was his granddaughter. And when we asked if he knew who we were, he responded with his typical humor, "Well, you know who you are."

I'm so glad he's home with the Lord and with Grandma. He's been wanting to go for so long...

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Very nice. And thanks for giving me yet another lump in my throat. Gosh I hate goodbyes! Darnit!

Chad and Sondra said...

I'm so so sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy to say goodbye, even when you know they are in a better place!

shaunjoy said...

I love the memory you have of him, reading his Bible. I've been so thankful for the godly heritage we have. So sorry for your loss -- I'm sure you miss him.