All right, all you mamas out there, this first-time mama needs help! When Randy and I were getting ready to register for our wedding, we got some great advice (i.e. register for plenty of bed linens and forget all the one-use kitchen gadgets and appliances! My small cupboards have been thankful many times for that wisdom!)
So now I'm looking for advice on registering for baby. Give me your top ten list of things you registered for or wish you registered for now that you know better. This can cover anything from the big things to the little necessities no one tells you about but are vital. Are there gadgets that look great but aren't really all that necessary? Let me know those, too. My small house will thank you!
So get thinking and get typing! I'm looking forward to reading all of your sage wisdom!
6 comments:
Hmmmmmmmm. Perhpaps I will have to leave several comments because my brain is a bit fried right now, but I do have a few.
To register for:
1. Bumbo! Okay, so I never used one....my kids are older than they are, but I hear they are beyond wonderful.
2. Infant tub.
3. The pads that cover the mattress (to prevent pee-stains
4. A swing....although that depends on the baby - best to borrow one until you know if they like it. I will for sure get one for #3!!
5. Bouncy seat! A life-saver...and used as a high-chair for the first foods.
6. Pack 'n Play - not just for traveling - for quiet times, too.
What NOT to register for (of course, this is just MY opinion!)
1. Wipes warmer. It takes 2 seconds to wipe a bottom, I think a child will live...you know, unless you stick the wipes in the snowbank, first.
Obviously I will have to think more about what NOT to buy - I know there are others... It's almost midnight. forgive me, please.
Can't wait to see what other people give you as advice!
Tough question -- makes my brain work hard! :) I agree with Lindsay on the infant tub, mattress pads, bouncy seat and a pack-n-play. I also agree that it's best to borrow a swing if possible -- we did and Elena only used it for like a month.
You won't need this right away, but instead of buying a high chair, we got a convertible booster seat with a reclinable back, works from 4-months until their bum gets too big to fit!
If you have a spitter you'll want tons of burp rags so you don't have to do laundry literally every day. Could you ask Itty-Bitty if s/he's a spitter?
Not needed? I don't think changing pad covers are necessary -- if you get poo on it then it has to be washed -- otherwise you just use a wipe on the pad and you're good to go.
Oh, I thought of one more -- don't bother registering for blankets. If your family/friends are like mine you'll still receive enough to outfit an entire Alaskan village.
This is a tip from my sister, since I am as clueless as you. :) She said a video monitor is a life-saver (especially if you have busy boys like hers). She initially didn't think she would need one, but once Andrew got mobile, she uses it constantly. A friend of mine also said a boppy pillow was especially helpful while nursing, another friend strongly recommended Dr. Browns bottles and a jumper that you hang in a doorway for your little bouncy baby. Hope that helps! Those were some of the tips people gave me! Oh, one more: my sister also said Disposable Multi-Use Pads are very good to have for changing diapers in public and various other uses.
Hi Dana
I have just one because everyone else has covered pretty much everything else. If you are going to be nursing get a GOOD, more expensive, double breast pump. If you want to know what brand or kind, whatever, ask Kathy Walker. Oh yeah and get to know her, she is awesome and has awesome advice when it comes to nursing. She was such a blessing when I was nursing Kaleb and Kara.
Oh, I have lots of favorite things, but I'll try to keep the list to a minimum. I loved our swing. I highly recommend it! It made the days much easier. We also loved our bumbo and exersaucer.
You will be grateful for gowns - even for boys - when you have to change diapers and don't have to deal with snaps in the middle of the night. Swaddleme blankets are fabulous! I had baby Houdinis who could bust out of any blanket, but not the Swaddleme!
Other favorites: Medela pump, Bumkins bibs, Sandra Boynton books, Good Night Moon, Eric Carle books, Baby Magic is my favorite smell, Boudreaux's Butt Paste - best for diaper rash. Oxy Clean will get out almost all poopy stains. Temporal thermometer, Carter's dribble happy bibs, The Baby Book by Dr. Sears, video monitor, Mylicon drops, Tucks (for you - ask me if you want more info!).
My list could go on and on, but I'll stop for now.
Post a Comment